Happy October 1st, or as we like to call it here at Farmer’s Market Foods, Happy Pumpkin Day! We’ve been waiting (not so) patiently to share all our favorite pumpkin recipes we’ve been cooking up in preparation for the Fall Season. To kick it off, we created a delicious loaf using our Pumpkin Pie Mix that’s so good, you won’t even know it’s vegan! For chocolate lovers, we’ve created a chocolate version and for fruit-enthusiasts, we’ve included an option with dates! Be sure to make enough, this bread doesn’t last long around pumpkin-lovers!
1 1/2 tablespoons ground flaxseed meal
4 tablespoons warm water
1 cup Farmer's Market Foods Organic Pumpkin Pie Mix OR 1 cup Farmer's Market Foods Organic Pumpkin Puree
2 tablespoons olive, vegetable, or canola oil
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup non-dairy milk (we used unsweetened almond milk)
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup mix-ins plus a little extra for topping - we divided this recipe in half and used chocolate chunks on one half, and chopped dates on the other
*If using Pumpkin Puree instead of Pumpkin Pie Mix, add the following ingredients
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup maple syrup
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare loaf pans. We used mini loaf pans, this recipe makes roughly three 6 x 3" loafs.
2. In a small bowl, mix flaxseed meal with warm water and let sit for five minutes, or until mixture is slightly thickened and soupy.
3. In a large bowl, add Pumpkin Pie Mix and oil slowly, stirring to combine. (If using Pumpkin Puree, also add maple syrup, and brown sugar). After combined, add baking soda, powder, salt (and spices, if using Pumpkin Puree), and whisk until all combined. Lastly, add almond milk and stir until incorporated.
4. Add flours gradually, and stir until all the clumps are gone. The batter should be runny - if too wet, add more non-dairy milk slowly.
5. Add any mix-ins, and stir into the dough.
6. Spoon the batter into loaf pans until 3/4 full and sprinkle a few extra mix-ins on top of the loaf. Bake for about 35-45 minutes or until tops are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out dry.
7. Let the loafs cool completely before slicing, otherwise the loaf can deflate. Once cooled, slice and enjoy!